Under the terms of the National Science Foundation Cooperative Agreement with UCAR, in the section on “Financial & Administrative Terms and Conditions,” effective October 22, 2018, NSF support for NCAR must be acknowledged in the following ways:
For all NCAR scientific publications:
NSF base funding must be acknowledged in all scientific publications by NCAR staff, even when primary or additional funding comes from other agencies or other NSF grants. The statement below must appear in the publication. Additional funding and acknowledgments should be addressed in a separate sentence.
- This material is based upon work supported by the National Center for Atmospheric Research, which is a major facility sponsored by the National Science Foundation under Cooperative Agreement No. 1852977. [Additional funding/acknowledgment sentence goes here. See examples below.]
Examples of additional funding/acknowledgment sentences include:
- Computing resources were provided by the Climate Simulation Laboratory at NCAR’s Computational and Information Systems Laboratory (CISL).
- This research was also funded in part by NASA Award No. XXXXXX and the U.S. Department of Energy.
- The data were collected using NSF’s Lower Atmosphere Observing Facilities, which are managed and operated by NCAR’s Earth Observing Laboratory.
For websites, one-pagers, white papers, brochures, and other informational materials:
This category includes news releases issued by NCAR|UCAR Communications. The following statement must appear on these types of materials:
- This material is based upon work supported by the National Center for Atmospheric Research, a major facility sponsored by the National Science Foundation and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
For media interviews:
NSF support must be orally acknowledged by the person being interviewed during all media interviews including, but not limited to, social media, radio, television, and film. For example:
- This research/study/project was funded/partially funded by the National Science Foundation. The other funders include xxx.
For NSF logo use:
Before using the logo, please consult NSF’s Logo and Usage Standards, which are summarized at https://www.nsf.gov/policies/logos.jsp.
Signage and markings:
Facility signage and markings must be in accordance with the guidance in the full PDF document, National Science Foundation Logo and Visual Identity Guidelines: Standards, Information and Usage, at https://www.nsf.gov/policies/nsf_logo_standards_2.0.pdf.
Staff must consult with the NSF Program Officer on the cost, timeline, design, and placement of any signage using the NSF logo or name on any building or site; particularly in instances where interagency or international partnerships exist.